Key data, MSEK
|Key data, MSEK||20161)||2015||2014|
|Operating profit from product areas2)||3.99||3.69||3.446|
|Operating margin from product areas, %2)||25.7||25.5||25.9|
|Operating margin, %3)||41.3||27.7||28.4|
|EBITDA from product areas2)||4.329||4.008||3.749|
|Profit for the year||5.123||2.803||2.626|
|Earnings per share, basic, SEK3)||27.38||14.48||13.23|
|Earnings per share, excl. STG, basic, SEK||26.44||12.62||11.55|
|Earnings per share, excl. STG, adjusted, basic, SEK5)||14.39||12.79||11.55|
|Ordinary dividend per share, SEK||8.50||8.00||7.50|
|Special dividend per share, SEK||7.50||21.50||–|
1) The full year 2016 only includes Swedish Match’s share of STG’s net profit until the date of partial divestment in September, thereafter, the shareholding in STG has been reclassified as a financial asset.
2) Excluding larger one-time items and share of net profit in STG.
3) Including larger one-time items and share of net profit in STG. Larger one-time items for 2016, all of which were tax exempt, include capital gains from the sale of shares in STG, in two tranches, totalling 1,208 MSEK and the sale of a distribution facility of 145 MSEK as well as an unrealized gain of 902 MSEK from revaluing the remaining holding in STG to market value.
4) Including share of net profit in STG and excluding larger one-time items.
5) Adjusted for Swedish Match’s larger one-time items.
Swedish Match operates in the three main product areas – Snus and moist snuff, Other tobacco products, and Lights. More than a third of total company sales and more than half of the operating profit come from the product area Snus and moist snuff.
Swedish Match has a market leading position in the Scandinavian snus market. In the US, Swedish Match is well positioned as the third largest snus and moist snuff company.
Swedish Match is a major player in the US market for mass market cigars and the largest manufacturer for chewing tobacco. Nearly all the products are sold exclusively on the US market.
Swedish Match is the market leader for matches in many markets throughout the world, with well known local brands. For lighters, the Cricket brand has strong market positions in many countries. Lights include matches, lighters and complementary products.
Main markets and brands
|Product area||Main markets||Main brands|
|Snus and moist snuff||Sweden||General, Göteborgs Rapé, Ettan, Grov, Catch, Kaliber, Kronan, XRANGE snus series|
|Norway||General, General G.3, Nick & Johnny, The Lab|
|US||Moist snuff: Longhorn, Timber Wolf|
Nicotine pouches without tobacco: ZYN
|Other tobacco products|
(cigars and chewing tobacco)
|US||Cigars: Garcia y Vega, Game by Garcia y Vega, 1882, White Owl, Jackpot|
Chewing tobacco: Red Man
(matches and lighters)
|Globally||Matches: Solstickan (Sweden), Swan Vestas (UK), Tres Estrellas (Spain), Fiat Lux (Brazil), Redheads (Australia)|
Lighters: Cricket (globally)
|Snus and moist snuff||5,277|
|Other tobacco products||4,283|
1) Full year 2016
|Snus and moist snuff||2,197|
|Other tobacco products||1,705|
|The Dominican Republic||37|
Swedish Match organization consists of five operating units and the Corporate functions.