Our product categories and markets
Swedish Match is leading the way toward A world without cigarettes. With its smokefree portfolio of snus, moist snuff, chewing tobacco and the driving force from nicotine pouches, the Company is well-placed to further its journey toward this world. For the product segments Cigars and Lights, the product portfolios deliver outstanding consumer value in their respective markets.
The markets in which Swedish Match engages, and the market segments in which Swedish Match competes, reflect the Company’s intentional and long-lasting evolution of its portfolio of products, in harmony with changing consumer trends, in line with a strategy that contributes to the vision of A world without cigarettes.
Swedish Match portfolio of smokefree products runs the range from more traditional offerings, such as moist snuff and chewing tobacco in the US, to snus with both modern and traditional varieties (primarily in Scandinavia), to nicotine pouches, the most recent and major development within smokefree products. In the US, Swedish Match also sells machine made cigars, which has historically played an important part of the overall product portfolio, providing opportunities for income growth and category management on the US market. Swedish Match also participates in the markets for other products, such as matches, lighters and certain fire related products for household and outdoor uses, sold in many countries throughout the world.
- The global non-pharmaceutical nicotine and tobacco market is composed of traditional tobacco products for smoking, such as cigarettes, pipe tobacco and cigars; oral smokefree products, such as nicotine pouches, snus, moist snuff and chewing tobacco; as well as other alternatives, such as vape products, heat-not-burn products, hookah products and nasal snuff.
- The largest category of this global market is cigarettes, accounting for more than 80 percent.1) Swedish Match stands apart, having no cigarettes in its portfolio and with the vision of
A world without cigarettes.
- Snus and nicotine pouches provide attractive alternatives to cigarettes, without the need for inhalation.
- In the US, the dominant forms of smokefree products are moist snuff, nicotine pouches and chewing tobacco, while snus is a niche category.
- In the US, the nicotine pouch category has continued to demonstrate impressive growth and accounted for approximately 45 percent of smokefree pouch volumes (measured in cans) in 2021.2)
- In Scandinavia, the dominant form of smokefree products is snus, while nicotine pouches represent an increasingly important and rapidly growing market.
- Outside of the US and Scandinavia, snus is only available in a limited number of countries. The sale of snus is banned within the European Union and certain other markets. Nicotine pouches are becoming more widely available in a number of countries, including EU member states.
- The US machine made cigar category grew to exceed 8.5 billion sticks in 2021.
- The global match market is largely comprised of strong local brands and the category is declining in most countries. The market for premium disposable lighters is declining in many western countries while growing in certain other markets.
1) Source: Euromonitor.
2) Based on MSA distributor shipments and include nicotine pouches, snus and moist snuff pouches, full year 2021.