Launch of General Kardus 2017 postponed until late February
The launch of the 2017 edition of General Kardus has been postponed until the end of February. For the past two years, the annual edition of General Kardus has been released on December 1 and this was also the goal for the 2017 edition. The reason for the delay is that the original product did not meet all of Swedish Match’s quality requirements for the tobacco blend used in General Kardus.
“I would like to start by apologizing for this unfortunate delay. It’s regrettable, but only the best is good enough for Kardus. We felt that the original tobacco blend was not optimal in relation to the other ingredients. This year, we are working with a new ingredient that has never been used in Kardus before. We have now produced a new tobacco blend that we are very pleased with, but due to production lead times, we will not be able to launch the new edition until late February,” says Carl Egeberg, Brand Manager for General, with responsibility for General Kardus.
Swedish Match launched General Kardus Fäviken in December 2015 together with celebrity chef Magnus Nilsson, who runs the two Michelin star restaurant Fäviken Magasinet located outside Åre, Sweden. Kardus features selected tobacco from the world’s premier tobacco farms and the 2017 edition will contain 100 grams of snus with a special theme.
“We aim to outdo ourselves every year and there simply isn’t room to compromise on quality. The next logical question is what will the theme of the 2017 edition of Kardus be. I can’t give too much away, but I can say that the 2017 edition of Kardus will come from roughly the same Nordic climes as last year. We apologize to all enthusiasts for the wait, but we believe this is the best solution,” says Carl Egeberg.
During December, small quantities of Kardus Fäviken 2016 will be sold in Swedish Match’s stores in Stockholm, Gothenburg, Strömstad and Åre. Quantities are limited.
History of Kardus:
Since December 2005, Swedish Match has sold a vintage snus known as Kardus. From the very start, Kardus has featured a unique tobacco blend with a special character each year, containing carefully selected tobacco from premium tobacco farms across the globe, from the USA and Argentina to Java and Vietnam. Kardus has been given an increasingly prominent theme every year since and is sold each year in Swedish Match stores and other selected stores.
Past editions of General Kardus:
- General Kardus ?, released in February 2017.
- General Kardus Fäviken. Theme: Jämtland, featuring tobacco matured in oak casks, flavored with herbs and wild berries. Released in December 2015.
- General Kardus Selection. Theme: Swedish snus history. Released in December 2014.
- Kardus Cincho. Theme: Spain, featuring Spanish tobacco and tones of sherry. Released in November 2012.
- Kardus Carnival Blend. Theme: Brazilian tobacco and tones of the Brazilian spirit cachaça. Released in November 2011.
- Kardus East Indiaman. Theme: tobacco from Java, flavored with arrack. Released in November (on Swedish Father’s Day) 2010.
- Kardus Superior Blend V. Theme: rum and tobacco from Guatemala. Released in December 2009.
- Kardus Superior Blend IIII. Theme: Highland single malt whisky. Released in December 2008.
- Kardus Superior Blend III. Released in December 2007.
- Kardus Superior Blend II. Released in December 2006.
- Kardus Superior Blend I. Released in December 2005.
For further information, please contact:
Carl Danielsson, Press Officer
Tel: +46 (0)725-71 23 63
Carl Egeberg, Brand Manager for General
Tel: +46 (0)705-63 26 70