Smokefree products in Other markets
Swedish Match works to build its presence in many countries for its nicotine pouches, while also offering other choices, like chew bags and tobacco bits in certain countries outside the US and Scandinavia, and snus outside of the EU. Many of these geographies have the potential to provide long-term growth opportunities for further growth and development.
In Other markets outside of the US and Scandinavia, Swedish Match continued its efforts to establish nicotine pouches, despite the challenges brought on by the pandemic. The Company sees good opportunities for its nicotine pouch products over the long term and provides the necessary resources to support these future opportunities. ZYN is the primarily brand used for its nicotine pouches in most countries outside the US and Scandinavia. The Group also sells snus, chew bags and tobacco bits in certain countries where allowed. The primary channels of distribution include tobacconists, convenience stores as well as e-commerce.
- In 2021, Swedish Match continued to invest and expand the availability of its nicotine pouch products. However, activities behind the expansion of nicotine pouches in Other markets were again hampered by COVID-19 related restrictions.
- Swedish Match also sells snus in Switzerland, Malaysia, South Africa, and Thailand.
- Swedish Match is present with chew bags in a number of countries, primarily in Europe, with Thunder being its largest brand.
- Due to the lack of product specific regulations for nicotine pouches at the European level and diverse regulations at the national level, marketing practices and product offerings vary greatly from country to country. Swedish Match is a strong advocate for responsible, proportionate and harmonized product and marketing regulation and considers the current situation unsustainable.
|Key data||2021||2020||Change, %|
|Operating profit, MSEK||-167||-125||-34|
|Operating margin, %||-102.2||-79.1|
|Shipment volumes, million cans1)||8.0||7.9||1|
1) Total shipment volumes for snus, nicotine pouches, chew bags, and tobacco bits.