Smokefree products in other markets
In other markets outside of the US and Scandinavia, Swedish Match continued its efforts to establish nicotine pouches, and the Company sees good opportunities for its nicotine pouch products over the long term.
|Key data||2020||2019||Change, %|
|Operating profit, MSEK||–125||32|
|Operating margin, %||–79,1||15.2|
|Shipment volumes, million cans1)||8||11||–28|
1) Total shipment volumes for snus, nicotine pouches, chew bags, and tobacco bits.
- In 2020, Swedish Match expanded the availability of its nicotine pouch products on a limited scale to a number of new countries, and at the end of 2020 the Company was present in stores in 18 countries in other markets.
- Activities behind the expansion of nicotine pouches in other markets were slowed due to COVID-19 related restrictions.
- In addition to the rollout of nicotine pouches, Swedish Match also sells snus in Switzerland and certain other countries, such as Malaysia and Thailand.
- Swedish Match is present with chew bags in a number of countries, primarily in Europe, with Thunder being its largest brand.
- The German chewing tobacco business was severely impacted in an adverse manner as a Bavarian court classified, which Swedish Match believes did so erroneously, some of the Company’s chewing tobacco products as snus and therefore subjected to the EU snus ban that applies outside Sweden.
- The competitive environment for nicotine pouches reflects that in most European countries the category remains unregulated. Swedish Match is a strong advocate for responsible, proportionate and harmonized product and marketing regulation and considers the current situation unsustainable.