Code of Conduct
The Code of Conduct represents the commitment of Swedish Match and of all employees to conduct business activities in a responsible manner and consistent with applicable laws and regulations.
Below are extracts from the Code of Conduct and a link to a PDF of the entire document.
Extracts from the Code of Conduct
The Code applies to all employees within the Swedish Match Group, regardless of location or role.
Companies in which Swedish Match has a substantial interest (such as a joint venture or an associated company) are expected to conduct their business in line with the spirit and main principles outlined in this Code. This also holds true for other business partners such as suppliers, distributors and consultants.
The Code consists of a number of topics related to the following four areas:
Swedish Match respects its employees and their human rights, and supports internationally proclaimed human rights conventions and guidelines wherever we operate. Our policy on human rights and employment practices is based on local and international labor laws, recommended practices and guidelines.1)
- We respect, support and fully observe international human and labor rights.
- We commit to maintaining a workplace free of harassment and discrimination.
- We make employment-related decisions based on objective and non-discriminatory criteria.
- We do not accept child labor or any form of forced or compulsory labor, slavery or torture.
- We respect every employee’s rights and freedom to join or form (non-violent) assembly or associations.
Swedish Match is committed to sound business ethics in all our business activities and relations with stakeholders, both within our own operations but also with regard to outside parties. We build relationships through honesty and integrity and we respect the laws and regulations in the countries in which we operate.
- We always act in a manner that does not conflict with the interests of Swedish Match.
- We do not engage in fraudulent or corrupt practices.
- We do not accept anything that could be construed as giving, offering or taking a bribe.
- We ensure that relationships with governments and other outside parties are open and transparent.
- We treat our customers, suppliers and business contacts fairly.
- We encourage our local operations and employees to make a positive contribution to their communities.
- We support free and fair competition and fully comply with competition laws.
- We market our products to customers and consumers in a legal and responsible manner.
Swedish Match promotes sound changes that reduce environmental impacts caused by our operations and we encourage our employees to be conscious and proactive in minimizing these impacts. We undertake programs to continuously improve our environmental performance.
- We always strive to comply with mandatory legal requirements for all activities and processes carried out on Swedish Match’s sites.
- We try to reduce the amount of waste produced and dispose of such waste in a safe and responsible way.
- We regularly monitor and measure all environmentally significant emissions and discharges to water, air and land to minimize the environmental impact.
- We regularly review all stages of our operations in order to minimize our impact on the environment, and perform periodic reviews/updates of areas of critical importance which could have significant environmental impacts.
- We develop and maintain an environmental management system based on the requirements of ISO 14001.
- We encourage greater eco-efficiency in all facilities, e.g. to minimize ecological damage while maximizing efficiency in all our production processes.
Our job and workplace
Swedish Match is committed to responsible and safe practices and procedures in all business activities both on the job and in the workplace. We promote a working environment with high standards of ethics and morale, where our employees respect and care for one another, Swedish Match as well as the environment.
- We promote the safety, health and wellbeing of our employees.
- We strive for a safe and secure working environment.
- We focus on and invest in developing our employees’ skills and talents.
- We are cost conscious when travelling and/or when engaging in procurement activities. Talk with a Procurement representative in an early stage.
- We treat our assets and property respectfully and do not accept fraudulent behavior.
- We use our information systems in a responsible manner.
- We communicate with our stakeholders clearly and promptly, while safeguarding confidential information.
- We maintain accurate and complete business records and reports.
- We consult our legal departments on matters that likely have the potential for legal risks.
1) The international conventions and guidelines referred to here are the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, the eight ILO Core Conventions (Nos. 87, 98, 29, 105, 100, 111, 138 and 182), and the OECD Guidelines for Multinational Corporations.